Lviv National Medical University which was previously known as Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, is one of the oldest medical universities in Ukraine. Lviv National Medical University started its journey from the medical faculty of Lviv university which was started on 16th November, 1784, according to the privilege of the Austrian emperor Joseph II.
In 1939, with the faculties of general medicine and pharmacy, Medical Faculty of Lviv University was rearranged into Lviv State Medical University. By the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, on October 17, 1996, a higher educational institution of the IV level of accreditation ‘Lviv State Medical University’ was established.
The University was granted the name of Danylo Halytsky, the first king of Halychyna-Ukraine, on October 21, 1998. According to the decree of the President of Ukraine the University conferred a degree of ‘National’ on October 21, 2003.
Today, the Lviv National Medical University combines 78 departments (including 47 clinical, as well as 19 support for higher medical educational institutions of Ukraine), 6 faculties, medical college, 14 educational buildings, educational- industrial pharmacy, a dental medical center, training simulation center, botanical garden, Central Laboratory of Medicine and Laboratory of Industrial Toxicology, Research Center for Antitumor Assays, Scientific Library etc.